Challenge & Lower Your Taxes

Nassau County, NOT the Town of Hempstead, sets your home's assessment, which is the basis of your property taxes.The Department of Assessment estimates the market value of your property and then applies a fractional level of assessment, a percentage of market value at which homes are assessed.

If you feel that your property's tax assessment is out of line (too high) compared to neighboring homes with similar characteristics, exercise your right to challenge it. Remember, your assessment may be lowered through the grievance process, but it may never be raised as a result of a challenge.

Legislation passed by the county resulted in a four-year freeze of property assessments beginning with the assessed values for 2012/2013. Unless physical changes are made to your property or you receive an assessment reduction resulting from a challenge, your assessed value will not change. This four-year cyclical assessment valuation system is believed by county officials to offer greater stability and predictability for property owners. Under this valuation system, assessment reductions that are the result of challenges will carry forward into successive years. Property owners may still file an assessment challenge each year.

Residents should receive their home's assessed value from Nassau County in early January 2015. If you do not receive this notification, you may call the Department of Assessment at (516) 571-1500. This number reflects your home's assessed value for the 2016-17 school tax period and the 2017 general tax period.

How to Challenge

Filing Period: The deadline for filing an application to challenge your assessment is March 2, 2015. 

Online: Application for Correction of Assessment Forms are available online from the Assessment Review Commission website. Applications may be filed electronically with the same effect as filing on paper through AROW (Assessment Review on the Web) until 11:59 PM on March 2, 2015. Successful transmissions generate an Appeal Number immediately and an e-mail message after a short delay.

By Phone: You may request that an Application for Correction of Assessment Form be mailed to you by calling the Assessment Review Commission at (516) 571-3214.

In-Person: Application for Correction of Assessment Forms may be obtained and submitted in person at 240 Old Country Road, Mineola, NY 11501, from 9:00 AM to 4:45 PM, Monday to Friday, except holidays.

By Mail: Applications can be mailed to the Assessment Review Commission at 240 Old Country Road, Mineola, NY 11501. Mail must be post marked by the USPS, or a private carrier designated by the IRS, no later than 11:59 PM on March 2, 2015.

Incorporated Villages

Incorporated villages within the Town of Hempstead have the right to utilize their own assessments for village tax purposes, or they may choose to utilize the county's assessment roll as a basis for their assessments. If you live in an incorporated village, you must file separately to challenge your village assessment. Contact your village assessor for information on how to challenge that assessment.