April 25, 2011
The following items must be submitted to file for a new residential dwelling building permit or to reconstruct a residential dwelling building in excess of 50 percent:
- A completed building permit application form. Application forms should be filled out in their entirety and must be signed by the property owner, NOT the lessee.
- Three (3) copies of a recent complete (unaltered) survey by a licensed surveyor, which shall include the following elevations: first floor, garage floor, corners of the house and the property, curb, sidewalk and crown of the road.
- Two (2) copies of a plot plan which shall indicate the following:
- The lot size expressed in square feet, the size, and percentage of lot coverage and setbacks to property lines of the proposed building.
- The datum of the nearest Nassau County test well together with the ground water elevation at the site.
- The average front yard depth of the existing buildings within 200 feet on each side of the lot.
- All required existing and proposed elevations and the minimum floor elevation calculations.
- When an application involves a subdivision or lot reapportionment, application shall also be reviewed for the purpose of considering preservation of existing trees on the site. In such cases, the application must contain a specific plan, containing a tree legend which will identify by number, species and caliper [four inches or more] those trees to be preserved, removed and/or replaced.
- Two sets of detailed architectural and structural construction plans (construction documents), that indicate compliance with the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code, and Energy Conservation Code. The seal and signature of a registered architect or a professional engineer is required on all plans.
- A Curb Cut Permit secured from the Highway Department.
- A plumbing permit application form (separate fee) signed by a plumber licensed to perform work in the Town of Hempstead and the notarized signature of the property owner.
- A Certificate of Workers Compensation or exemption thereof.
- An Energy Star Home Verification, (new dwellings only, not for 50 percent).
- A Design Professional's Certificate of Compliance.
After the permit has been issued and the foundation construction is complete, and before any other construction may begin, a foundation location survey by a licensed land surveyor must be submitted that indicates:
- The Building Permit Number.
- The elevation of the top of the foundation wall.
- The setbacks of the foundation to all property lines.
- A certification from the licensed land surveyor indicating: the average front yard depth of the existing buildings within two hundred (200) feet on each side of the lot and within the same block in the same use district, or if there are less than two (2) existing buildings on the same side of the street, the average front yard depth of existing buildings within two hundred (200) feet on each side directly opposite the lot in the same use district.
It is the policy of this department to abandon and destroy, without notification, any application that has been left dormant by the owner or agent thereof for 90 days. All fees paid in relation to such application will be non-refundable and non-transferable.